My Kind Of Town

My Kind Of Town

(Brief) Rant for the week: I adore that our country came together and decided this same-sex marriage ruling. What an amazing day/event to witness. I've always been a strong advocate of love and "same-sex love" is no exception.  Love is too beautiful to be hidden in a closet.  At least 260 species of animal have been noted exhibiting homosexual behavior but only one species of animal every, so far as we know, has exhibited homophobic behavior - and that's the human being.  Isn't it interesting that a county founded to allow freedom from religious persecution is now using religion to persecute freedoms? Isn't it nice that we can use the Bible to be against gay marriage, while simultaneously ignoring all the other parts that inconvenience us?   Brad Pitt quoted" "Equality. Absolutely. That's what defines us.  It's what makes us great. If it doesn't sit well with your religion, let your God sort it out in the end, but that's us. We're equal."  The fact is that this decision yesterday was a legal decision about the scope of our Constitutional rights as humans and US citizens. It was not about religion, religious beliefs or religious freedom.  It is about equal rights, just as the decision in this country to give women the vote and the decision to abolish slavery were about equal rights.  Any decision regarding the scope of a constitutional right is a legal decision, not one based in religion or morality. Love is a human experience, not a political statement.

Brookfield Zoo

Throwback:
This week's externship highlights include a moustache parakeet, cat with a tongue ulcer, bird with a swollen third eyelid, bird with a large mass in its abdomen, bird with a decaying egg in its abdomen, bird with goiter, and a cystotomy on a dog.  Fun fact for the day:  African Grey's will bleed tears when they are excited/stressed. I saw an old elementary school friend at the clinic! So good to see you Laura!
My very own taste of Chicago:

I have Friday and Saturday off of my externship to visit my family for the weekend.  I hope everyone has a great 4th!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Balance

I have been complimented by coworkers on how I manage my work-life balance. It's extremely important in my field to understand and enfor...