Colic

She Died Peacefully At Home

There was a spay day at animal control on Sunday that I was able to help with right before getting called in for a foal with chronic diarrhea.  This week I had a colic patient who underwent surgery on emergency and got transferred to me the next day.  She was suppose to go home since she was doing so well, but then started to shows signs of colic again. Our service saw a tooth root abscess surgery, ruptured tendon,  another arthroscope, and lots of colic. I was on call again on Wednesday and again got called in for a horse with colic with unfortunately ended up bring euthanized.

For those not as familiar with horses: The true term "colic" refers to generalized abdominal pain.  There is a variety of signs and causes of colic and finding out the cause is of course where the vet comes in.  There are several diagnostics including checking vitals, gut sounds, rectal palpation, nasogastric tube, abdominocentesis, radiographs, and ultrasound.  A nasogastric tube is a tube that is placed up the nose, down the esophagus, and into the stomach in order to relieve fluid or gas buildup as well as used to administer fluids and mineral oil. The treatment includes anaglesics (pain meds), fluids, laxatives, and sometimes surgery. Prevention comes from feeding a well rounded diet.




I've thoroughly enjoyed working with these powerful yet sensitive creatures.  I received several compliments from the intern, resident, and clinician that I worked with and I was even asked to think about working in equine medicine.  Hmm, this just makes my decision of what to do after school that much more difficult.

I will be traveling again this weekend for my next rotation and externship! Start spreading the news. Any guesses where to this time?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Balance

I have been complimented by coworkers on how I manage my work-life balance. It's extremely important in my field to understand and enfor...