ASPCA Externship

New York, New York

As I am channeling my inner Carrie Bradshaw writing from a cafe down the street from the place I am staying, I can't help but wonder if you ended up guessing that my next externship was in NYC! (The 92 Questions from Sex and The City) Helping out where I have always wanted to, I am doing an externship at the ASPCA.  The facility works differently than most animal clinics because it's an adoption center, emergency clinic, forensics center, and specialty practice all in one.  A wide variety of medical issues are seen; I have seen electrical cord burns on a tongue (the tongue sloughed off when we examined it), icteric pets (they were so icteric that their skin was yellow as well as the typical yellow serum presentation), multiple high rise syndrome cats, several hit-by-cars, several fractures and amputations, toxicities, several foreign bodies, malnourishment, urinary obstructions, and heart failure.
Check out all of their adoptable pets! Since spending time with a lot of them, I know they are great pets! I just wish I could take one home myself!


I am loving every moment in NYC.  Every day I take a different street to my externship (2 miles one way) in order to explore something new.  I have been to NY a few times before, but this time I can really immerse myself in it, after all this is the city that never sleeps.  Particularly, I love that everyone is happy to do their own thing; I saw many singles out to dinner alone or grabbing a drink alone.  I was delighted to be able to catch up with friends while here as well. So far on this trip I ventured to Dylan's Candy Bar, the 9/11 memorial, Le District, the Charging Bull, Katz's (where you can have what she's having), Eataly (this store needs to be near me), Times Square, the M&M shop, Baked by Melissa cupcakes, walked along Madison Avenue on the upper east side for the designer shops, Sprinkles, Serendipity, Uva, and a few other little street places.




Since we are summoning my inner Carrie Bradshaw these next two weeks, here are some of my favorite Sex and the City quotes:

-"Maybe some women aren't meant to be tamed. Maybe they need to run free until they find someone just as wild to run with" -Carrie

-"The most exciting, challenging and significant relationship of all is the one you have with yourself.  And if you find someone to love the you that you love, well that's just fabulous." -Carrie

-"I'm looking for love. Real love. Ridiculous, inconvenient, consuming, can't-live-without-each-other-love." -Carrie

-"I've been dating since I was fifteen, I'm exhausted! Where is he?" -Charlotte

-"Absofuckinlutely" -Mr Big

-"I'd like a cheeseburger, please, large fries, and a cosmopolitan" -Carrie

-"Single and fabulous, exclamation point." -Carrie



No comments:

Post a Comment

Balance

I have been complimented by coworkers on how I manage my work-life balance. It's extremely important in my field to understand and enfor...