Long Week

This week was full of lots of studying for the upcoming tests on Monday.  Vetprep has block exams, so I have a test in all my classes on the same day.  Still not sure how I feel about this....I'd like to get all the exams out of the way on the same day that way you don't have to worry about another exam for a while, however, ALL of your exams are on the same day.  We will see how it goes. 
 On Monday, there was an ice cream social for the 1st semesters, which was a nice little study break.  I had been looking over Physio all day because I'm most nervous about that test.  I also bought an anatomy CD from one of the anatomy professors in preparation for next semester.  The first semesters keep talking about how they have to memorize so much information, so I figured since I have the free time now, I might as well get started and that way it will just be review for me.  I'm trying to learn 5 bones/muscles/joints/ligaments a day, unless the bones are similar, then I'll throw in a few more. 
 On Tuesday, I ventured out to customs to pick up a package (thanks Kristen and Alan!).  You are surely going to fatten me up with all those cookies! They open the box and go through everything with you there.  They had a problem with people shipping weapons in the past, so now they check through everything.  We also had our first VIDA meeting.  I'm most excited about this club, but they are having a slow start, so nothing will come of it just yet.  Wednesday was my longest day this week.  I started classes at 10:30 and ended at 4pm, but we then had a mandatory off campus living meeting at 4:30pm, so we can prepare to move.   I also went to the on-campus market and picked up some eggs, fruits, veggies, and meat, so I will be set for a little while.  There was a speaker for VBMA from 5-7pm which gave me some hours toward my certification and I got a free book out of it.  There are no plans for the weekend, since everyone has tests on Monday.  Hopefully we can sneak in a movie night between studying. 

On a sadder note, the owner of one of the bars on the strip was killed this week.  A few of us have already gotten to know Elvis pretty well, so it touches close to home.  Check out the news story: http://www.sknvibes.com/news/newsdetails.cfm/52629

 I have discovered that I hate that St. Kitt's doesn't recycle.  They recycle their glass bottles because they have a bottling company here that will give you money back for bringing the bottles, but they don't recycle paper, cans, or plastic.  I've heard of some students bringing home their recycling in their suitcases to recycle back home, but I don't know if I will go that far.  Although, I do cringe every time I throw away something that should be recycled.
 Everyone is also starting to figure out where they want to live next semester when we move off campus and also starting to buy cars.  The options for housing are numerous and you definitely have a lot of options.  A lot of people want to live out in Frigate Bay where the Marriott is because it is nicer, however, it isn’t as safe (lots of robberies) because it’s considered the “richer” area.  I’d ideally like to stay near campus, so I don’t have to worry about a long drive or the car breaking down and not getting to class.  I’d also like some roommates too, so I need to find a place with more than one  Of course, I want a place that allows animal, because you know I’m bedroom.  Of course, I would also like a place that allows animals, since I know I will be bringing home a few, plus I’d like to be able to foster.    As far as the car goes, the roads here are awful especially going down to some of the beaches, so I’d prefer an SUV.  A lot of people are also sharing cars, so that’s another idea.  The available housing gets put up on Feb 10th, so we still have time to figure it all out.

There are a lot of people that have started to question why they are here.  They are getting stressed out because of the studying and distance.  Other than in VetPrep, you really don't have a life other than studying.  As some of you know, I'm home sick, but I have a lot that has happened in the past month that's making life, especially being here, more challenging.  I very much appreciate all of the phone calls and emails.  Keep them coming and start planning your visits!

1 comment:

  1. Your Feb birthday will be spent in paradise--nice!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Balance

I have been complimented by coworkers on how I manage my work-life balance. It's extremely important in my field to understand and enfor...