Orientation week!

Finally getting settled into my room!  We have been super busy with orientation all week and getting acclimated to the island and student life!

Day 1 - We had a Island tour that included Brimstone Hill Fortess, Caribelle Baqit, Black Rocks, Carnival (accelerates the holiday season Nov - Jan) , and Port Zante.  I also got to experience the best Johnny Cake on the island from Mrs. Moore (Orientation leader says she's the best).

                      All our luggage getting from the airport to campus:
                                                          
                                     My room not set up yet:




           View from my room (Yes I do get the sunrise and part of the sunset):

                         Orientation Group at Brimstone Hill Fortress:
                                                                 
                                          Carnival dancers:

                                                              

                                     First bug bite (it was an ant!):


Day 2 - Today we had a campus tour, so I know where all my classes will be (basically two classrooms).  We then had lectures about the island and security for most of the afternoon with a few hours of down time. Then dinner was at Sunset Cafe on the Strip.  Too bad VT ended up losing the Sugar bowl :(

                                          Room now set up:




                                  Walking to "Beach" on campus:



Day 3 -  Today was complete with more "errands", Visa application including passport picture, getting our student IDs (I'm official!), opening up our bank accounts (Scotia bank), getting our laundry cards, drivers license (just a piece of paper), and putting money on my island cell phone.  I then had a pizza social with my fellow vet preppers to finally meet them all! I met some great people and I'm eager to start classes....I cannot believe I seriously just said that.  The afternoon included zip lining!  We had so much fun and the views were amazing!  That night all the orientation groups went out to Bobsy's, where I ate one of the most amazing burgers I've ever tasted.  Crazy right?  That dinner was honestly the biggest meal I have ate since I've been here.  We then had some drinks and socialized with everyone so we could start meeting everyone!




                                        Come zip lining with me:

                        


Day 4- More lectures today about living on campus, figuring out our personality style and what it means, getting oriented to the exam center, and a free movie of We Bought A Zoo. Who can say that when they walk out of a movie there's the ocean right in front of them?! Gorgeous! After the movie, we went and saw Lazombie (fire dancer) at Shiggity Shack bar.


                                  Beers with Jessica and Tyler:


Day 5 -  A depressing and scarey lectures about balancing life and the counseling center.  Then an exciting lecture about our curriculum and what we have to look forward to.  We then spent the rest of the afternoon running errands, putting money in our new bank accounts, and buying our groceries.  There was a huge BBQ for dinner. 

Day 6- Catamaran trip to Nevis!  We have all been looking forward to this trip all week long!  The weather was perfect although we did get some rain for about 1 minute.

                                          Our Catamaran:

                                           Underwater view:

                  
                                             Snorkeling:


                                                St. Kitts:

                                                Nevis:



So the rest of today as well as tomorrow I am probably going to relax and get mentally ready for school!  I will post again after this week so you can find out first impressions of my classes!  Be sure to check out more pictures on my facebook page!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Balance

I have been complimented by coworkers on how I manage my work-life balance. It's extremely important in my field to understand and enfor...