Feeling Like A Doctor

It's hard to keep coming up with different "themes" for the month, since the day to day life in vet school is pretty routine (class, study, try to relax before next exam, repeat).  I have to find a way to keep you interested in reading! For March, I'm going to do a different quote everyday.  I have a lot of quotes that mean a lot to me, so each day I will share one with you!  I get a lot of my quotes off of Pinterest, so I apologize if I don't know who said a lot of the them.

"Take time to do what makes your soul happy" -Unknown 
This past weekend, I brought two cats into PAWS, one of which is currently at my place learning tricks.


Monday:  (My all time favorite) "Love like you've never been hurt, sing like no one is listening, dance like no one is watching, and live like it's heaven on earth" - Unknown
I gave the avian talk and performed my first canine ansethesia!  My group and I had to calculate the drug dose for the premediations and induction agents and administer those drugs, while knowing the effects of those drugs.  We put a catheter in, intubated, did different breathing methods, monitored, had to figure out if a value wasn't right what to do about it, and then woke the dog back up!  Starting to feel like a doctor more and more everyday!  I had belly dance that night, where I taught the class a new choreography because the girls are learning so fast, that I have to come up with more dances for them!  We also got our schedules for next semester...ahh it's so scary and exciting at the same time! 

Tuesday:  "I chose to be unstoppable..  I am bigger than than my concerns and worries. The strength of others inspire me daily.  I focus on my goals. I trust my intuition and live a courageous life."  -Unknown
Happy Mardi Gras! Normal day of class, where I was done at noon.  I went and picked up four kittens to bring into PAWS.  They are afraid of me, but I'm sure once they see I'm not a threat, they will feel more comfortable. They are pretty adorable though!
 
Wednesday: "I am too positive to be doubtful, too optimistic to be fearful, and too determined to be defeated." -Unknown
Totally didn't realize that today was Ash Wednesday and the first day of Lent, so I didn't get a chance to go to church. There was a VBMA speaker at lunch and that afternoon.  They are great speakers and talk about subjects that we just aren't going to learn about in school, such as hospice, the art of euthanasia, and how to have a life once you start working.  After next week I will have completed my Gold certification!  Very exciting!  I also had my ophthalmic lab this afternoon where we looked at eyeballs!  I had dinner at Carambola this evening and it was amazing!  Probably the best food that I've had on this island so far.

Thursday: "My daily routine: get up, be amazing, go back to bed." -Unknown
I dealt with A LOT of PAWS stuff  today.  The kittens had their appointment, so I had to bring them in and then give them to their new fosters. This will probably be my last litter of kittens that I bring in!  I usually let the fosters name them, but I wanted to name the last ones!  They are Ottley, Serendipity (Dips), Timothy, and Calypso.  All named after places around the island.
 The woman that gave me the cats this weekend now wants one of them back, which we normally don't do, since we have them sign a form over to us and everything.  She gave him up because she is going back home, but will be back in the summer.  SInce PAWS hasn't really invested anything in him yet, then I gave her the ok to take him back.  However, now since I've been fostering him, I have to now help her find a foster until she comes back in the summer.  I normally wouldn't have a problem helping her, but it's just bad timing with everything else that I should be doing right now (maybe like studying). Then I got more emails about more cats that want to come into our program.  There was a VBMA speaker at lunch about The Art of Euthanasia. I then went to the DI TA sessions and then home to study!




Friday:  "Party hard, make mistakes, and laugh endlessly.  Do things you are afraid to do. After all, you're only young once." -Unknown
I have two VBMA speakers today.  I feel incredibly behind in my studying, so I will be staying in tonight to study for my two exams, ANS and SAM, next week.

This weekend PAWS is putting together a SUP (Stand Up Paddleboard)  relay fundraiser along with one of the professor here.  I will be working some of that and then studying for ANS and SAM for the rest of the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Balance

I have been complimented by coworkers on how I manage my work-life balance. It's extremely important in my field to understand and enfor...