Hitting The Ground Running

Everyone likes to ease into a semester, but unfortunately I do not have that privilege this semester.  My first week was incredibly busy and I'm sure it's not going to slow down from here.  I'm exhausted from just looking at my schedule.

I was up early for the gym on Monday in order to get into the routine right away and of course work off all the food I ate over the break.  I had Path (pathology 2) Lab from 8-9:30am, registered afterwards, ClinPath (clinical pathology) from 10-11, ran to the bank at 11am, Path lecture at 1pm, Epi (veterinary public health and epidemiology) at 2pm, and then Pharm (pharmacology 2) at 3pm.  A very long/busy day for the first day!

The professor I did chicken research with (Dr. Ketzis) at the beginning of the year wanted me to help her do it again this semester.  Since this semester is incredibly busy, she wanted to get started right away.  So, any free time I had from classes this week is filled with research. Tuesday marked the start of that research with set-up including weighing spray bottles, setting up the room, and other basic preparations for the chickens.  My class this day included ClinPath at 10am, MOD (Mechanisms of Disease) at 11am, Path at 1pm, Epi at 2pm, and Pharm at 3pm.

Wednesday was a very tiring long day.  I had research all morning measured and filled the spray bottles, got the room set up with a video camera, went to pick up the chicken, then did a vet check complete with weights, nail trims, and physical exams.  Then I had class all afternoon: Path 1pm, Epi at 2pm, Pharm at 3pm, ClinPath at 4pm.   I went to go check on the chickens again around 7:30 to make sure they had enough food and water.

I had to check the chickens again on Thursday morning.  I went to the gym afterwards instead of before since I really didn't want to get out of bed :)  I then had ClinPath at 10am and MOD at 11am.  During lunch, we had to wash three of the birds to get rid of any lice they had on them.   Another late afternoon with ClinPath lab from 3-5pm.  7pm and I was checking on the chicken again.

More research on Friday morning.   I also have essential Vet Skills: Ovine physical exam from 10-12pm, which should be interesting.  That afternoon, I then have Path at 1pm and Epi at 2pm.  I do still have to check on the chickens tonight though!

I don't even get a break this weekend!  I am doing research starting at 7am, then the first PAWS adoption day of the semester is on Saturday, and it's Mr RUSVM that evening. On Sunday, we have to do lice counts on the chickens at 8am and then I have to check on them again at 7pm.

Whew...what a way to jump right back into the new semester!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Balance

I have been complimented by coworkers on how I manage my work-life balance. It's extremely important in my field to understand and enfor...