Midsemester Break

Friday:  Rum Run






Saturday: I had my first scuba pool session.  It was scary but fun too.  We had to learn how to breathe with the regulator, take it out and put it back in underwater, take our mask off and put it back on underwater, learn how to float in the water, put our gear on in the water, and buddy breathe (where you put your buddy's extra regulator in your mouth underwater).  Next dive will be in the ocean, which is even scarier!
Sunday: Catamaran trip!




Monday was midsemester break, so we had the day off from school.  Sunday night I got a flat tire, so I spend Monday getting that fixed.  While I was driving, I realized they didn't tighten one of the tires enough, so I had the pleasure of doing that when I got home.  I then spend some time at the pool and had a cookout with some friends.
Tuesday I just spent my day catching back up on school work.  I've had to switch foster homes for 5 of PAWS' cats, so I've been dealing with a lot of emails about that.
Wednesday there was a town hall meeting for the school to go over the changes the are going to put in place.  They are trying to improve the school, which of course is always good.  Here's a list of what they are doing in order to reduce the attrition rates by 5%:

1) Final exams will no longer be worth more than 50%. For midterm exams in general, they will do their best to space out exams appropriately.
2) For first semester students, they are now allowed to come back and repeat if they fail two courses. This is because students are still getting used to the island and living in a different environment.
3) To increase the NAVLE passing rate (currently is at 97%, which is a little below average compared to US schools), 7th semesters are now given vouchers to take the NAVLE exam to get a feel for the types of questions and length of the exam. A minimum of 80% passing rate is needed to maintain accreditation at Ross.
4) There will be well defined learning objectives for all courses.
5) To be decided by administration today: for the beginning of both 5th and 6th semesters, they will be allowed to take the PAVE exam (this used to be the old exam that Rossies had to take at the end of clinical year before the school received accreditation). This will not be given for a grade but as a diagnostic exam to see where the student stands at this point and how well the professors are teaching.
6) According to the administration, in response to a question, the class sizes have plateaued and will not be getting any larger.

Other improvements to be completed later this year:
1) Gazebos are being built on the lawn in front of the student union. In addition, more tables and umbrellas will soon be placed at the bottom of the lawn.
2) The patio area by clinical skills has been completed. Additional tables and chairs will be placed there for more seating/study areas.
3) The new diagnostic imaging lab is well underway.
4) Classroom 4 is currently being built into new facilities offices and will also have additional break out rooms.
5) The East Parking Lot guard gate is being moved to the outside of the parking lot (will increase security).
6) 10 new permanent seats are being added to Upper Aud.

To be completed by January 2015:
1) The new student union: aerobics room, a gaming/pool table area with TV and couches, coffee area, more break out rooms.
2) Moving the mechanics facility out to the back corner of the East Parking Lot.

Thursday wasn't very eventful, although I did see the American Kestrel that I've been looking for at our apartment.  A group of us went to see Identify Thief.
On Friday, I ran errands, checked on the shorebirds for nest, went to volleyball, and helped with the donkey research.
This weekend, I will probably catch up on some more school work.  There is a flipcup/beer pong tournament that Gavin, Kelli, Amanda, and I are going to be a team for on Saturday.  Maybe some beach or pool time sometime this weekend as well!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Balance

I have been complimented by coworkers on how I manage my work-life balance. It's extremely important in my field to understand and enfor...