Cardiology Rotation

Quick day trip to New Orleans last weekend:

I started my first rotation this week!  We pretty much got throw into the mix of the 4th year LSU students and although we had no idea where anything was or what their protocols are, luckily, they aren't too hard to pick up on.  During my cardiology rotation, we reviewed echocardiographs, cardio auscultation, electrocardiographs, saw a few referrals, as well as saw a surgery performed. We saw some cases of heartworms, pulmonary hypertension, pulmonic stenosis after a balloon valvoplasty (my case), a pacemaker recheck after Sick Sinus Syndrome, a recheck pulmonary effusion, a mitral valve degeneration (my case), and even a PDA surgery.  I will be on-call three times as well during this two week rotation.

A PDA or a Patent Ductus Arteriosus is a congenital condition that normally occurs in German Shepherds (oh look Julia and Ryan ;) ).  It is an extra vessel or opening from the aorta to the pulmonary artery in neonatal animals, however it should close around one week of age.  If it doesn't close, then surgical fixation is required.  It is typically diagnosed by a continuous murmur, radiographs, and an echocardiograph.  The case we saw, we were able to go in through the femoral artery and place a ACDO similar to this video: ACDO placement


No comments:

Post a Comment

Balance

I have been complimented by coworkers on how I manage my work-life balance. It's extremely important in my field to understand and enfor...