SOAP

The excitement from last week involving a student in my semester:  In The News: Ross Student Shot At By Officer

I briefly stopped by Mr Ross this past weekend to support my class and friends (Bryan you were amazing); we ended up placing 3rd! However it simply wasn't the same without my pinks there.  Miss you guys!
 
 
 

The 6th semesters put all of the 7th's names on a heart around our seating section. Dr. Shearer is looking pretty fantastic to me!

This time of the year's weather has always been my favorite and this semester is no exception.  It's been pouring rain on and off everyday so it cools everything off.  It feels absolutely magnificent outside.
The rainy Monday started off some actual clinical work with my Clinical Pathology rotation.  I definitely needed to review how to interrupt bloodwork since it has been a few semesters.  Even though our presentation isn't for a few more week, my grand round's group met with one of our professors. Our topic is avian fluid therapy, which is a fairly broad topic, so we asked her to help us find a fun case to on raptors and rehabilitation to liven up the category. Of course I'm thrilled since that's my area of interest!

We dove into some bovine palpation for Theriogenology starting on Tuesday!  The videos that we have to watch beforehand were pretty hysterical.  I felt like I was watching an educational video from the 70's, and the angle they shot at, as if you were in the pelvis looking out, was highly entertaining.  Although I couldn't delineate what structures I was suppose to be palpating, I was entertained by the actual experience of some more hands on time with the animals.  My large animal surgery/SOAP group (Whom I'm pleased to work with - Yay Christine and Amanda!) met to start working on a cost analysis project for anesthesia that is due in a few weeks. There is no such existence of procrastination this semester, although, I did take a study break and go see a movie Tuesday night.

We got our SOAPing/surgery donkey and sheep on Wednesday! Let me clarify that SOAPing is a verb to describe a physical exam on these animals; I won't actually be giving them a bath. It is an acronym for the report write up for the physical exam findings in the patient's medical record.
         S = Subjective
                    (Patient is BAR/QAR - bright, alert, responsive or quiet, alert,
                     responsive)
         O = Objective
                    (Heart rate, respiratory rate, temperature, and the number
                     of rumen contractions)
         A = Assessment
                   (Interpret findings.  Come up with list of differential diagnoses.)
         P = Plan
                   (What you will do next, such as "continue to monitor overall
                     health daily" if there are no open problems)  
We have to SOAP these animals every morning for the entire semester before classes.  When we start doing our surgeries on these animals, then we might have to SOAP twice a day. My SOAP group came up with a schedule so that someone can have the morning/weekend off since not all of us need to be there.  Every semester I would walk past the paddocks, where the donkeys are located, with the 7th semesters working on them, and just dream of the day when I would finally be in their shoes.  It is an incredibly grateful feeling being on the other side of that fence.

There was a scuba club meeting Thursday at lunch that I attended in hopes that I can get at least two dives in this semester. I still remember when I first signed up for my scuba certification, petrified but excited adrenaline coursing through me.  Now, I eagerly paid my membership dues wondering when my next dive will be after I leave this island.
This weekend I should know where I am going for clinics! I will also be preparing for my busy upcoming week, especially for my first surgery!  It still sounds so unbelievable saying/writing that.

I took this picture (and yes, it is me) to portray the emotion when the veil is lifted and your eyes are reopened.  Remember to follow the light of your one true nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Balance

I have been complimented by coworkers on how I manage my work-life balance. It's extremely important in my field to understand and enfor...