A Bushel and A Peck

June 30, 1927  - October 4, 2017
Last week, heaven gained another angel, my paternal grandmother. These past few weeks haven't felt real - a dream-like state. I despised dividing her possessions and being at her home without her. None of that would give me what I truly wanted - her back. Yes, I know she's in a better place, yes I know she happy, and yes, she went the way she would have wanted to go, surrounded by family. The hardest part of losing someone, isn't having to say goodbye, but rather learning to live without them. It's never easy to say goodbye to a grandparent, especially your last living grandparent. Because of her energy and strong-will (maybe stubbornness), I honestly believed she would become the longest living woman.
 She was an extraordinary woman. She always was looking out for others and made sure to put everyone before herself.  She left home at 15 years old, from the country life to the big city, to help provide for her family, and then never stopped providing for others. No one left her house with an empty stomach, without getting a hug, or hearing I love you. She touched the heart of everyone who met her. She made us all better. It comforts me, as I'm sure the rest of my family, that she is again cruising along in fourwheelers, picking raspberries, crocheting blankets, giving her time generously, and yelling for "babe" and finally being with grandpa again. 
Grandma, even though I left you a note to try to express how much you meant to me, words will never be enough.  Thank you for the stories, the cooking skills, the laughter, love, generosity, and make each of us who we are today. Even if I spent a few days with you, I still missed you the second I left. I know you loved me since I was born, but I've loved you my whole life. You will always be an inspiration, a hero, and now a guardian angel. We will miss you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Balance

I have been complimented by coworkers on how I manage my work-life balance. It's extremely important in my field to understand and enfor...