Next Stop

I got a job for the summer with Broadreach in......... wait for it....... Costa Rica! I will be a leader for two sessions, 3 weeks each, of 12 high school students from all over the US interested in becoming veterinarians.  I will have 16 lectures that I will have to give along with transporting the students to different farms (everything from large animal, equine, wildlife, and spay neuter clinic) around the country.  They will also get the chance to white water raft, zipline, canyon, and surf on the beach.  It was very sudden process as I heard, applied, interviewed, and was accepted all within the span of two days.  I have been at training in Raleigh all of this week and I start later in the month.
I was starting to feel a sense of claustrophobia after seeing so many friends traveling after graduation.  Not having a job lined up yet, the thing I earned for was to travel some place new. Plus with my sister having added another country to her list, I had to stay in the lead with adding another to mine. ;)  Travel changes you. As you move through life and this world you change things slightly, you leave marks behind, however small. And in return, life and travel leaves marks on you. When I say I want to travel, I don't mean I want to stay at resorts and go on tour with tour guides or buy key chains from souvenir shops. I don't want to be a tourist. When I say I want to travel, I mean I want to explore another country and become part of it. I want to meet people who are not like me, but people I can like all the same. I want to take pictures of things and places and people I meet. I want my mind to be in constant awe of life on earth. I want to see things with new eyes. I want to look at a map and be able to remember how I was transformed by the places I've been to, the things I've seen, and the people I've met. I want to come home and realize that I have not come home whole, but have left a piece of my heart in each place I have been. This is what is at the heart of adventure and this is why I plan on making my life one. I cannot wait for this perfect opportunity!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Balance

I have been complimented by coworkers on how I manage my work-life balance. It's extremely important in my field to understand and enfor...