Under The Sea

I had an amazing time on our dive on Friday afternoon.  We went to two dive sites and ended up seeing a 8 foot nurse shark, several Tarpin, spotted rays, two turtles, lion fish, star coral, tons of Dori fish!, and other types of fish and coral.  One of my friends videoed part of our adventures, check it out here. 
Me!

 Lots of bubbles!

Bringing VT under the sea

All of us swimming

Lots of fish

Lion fish
Turtle

 8 foot Nurse shark

Another pic of the shark hiding

I hung out at Shipwreck on Sunday to get some sun and beach time in before finals.

On Monday, I helped mediate the birds in the aviary because one of the birds died of a respiratory infection.  They aren't sure what caused the respiratory infection, but a possible pathogen could be Chlamydia psittaci which has zoonotic potential.  The necropsy on the birds was inconclusive, so until they get the results of the tests, precautionary measures have to be taken.  We have to wear gloves and respirators, and medicate all the birds.  We should know the results in about two weeks, so hopefully it's nothing.
FACT OF THE DAY: Estrogen deficiency affects bone with IL-6 and IL-11 by decreasing bone mass.  This is why osteoporosis starts after women hit menopause. (Pathology)

There was a free dinner webnair on Tuesday for VPI insurance that I went to and I picked up another cute little kitten for PAWS!
FACT OF THE DAY: Neorickettsia (Ehrilichia) risticii causes an acute diarrheic illness of equids.  It's an agent of Potomac horse fever which as the name says, can be found mostly along the Potomac River. (Bacteriology)

Wednesday was a hard day because I found out more of my friends are transferring.  It just makes me homesick and I have 3 more weeks until home!  However, my day did get better with a night dive!  I was very excited, but very nervous as well!  I mean we were about to go 50 feet under the water in pitch black with only flashlights and our gear! We had glowsticks that we put on a certain place so we would know who our buddy was, so we wouldn't lose them.  It was so amazing though and I cannot wait to do another one!  We saw so many things including about 8 turtles (some were huge and came right up to us!), several octopus, crabs, lobsters, blowfish (one was giant!), star coral, fire coral, as well as several different types of coral and fish.  There was also an underwater volcanic rock that we rocked.  At one point we all kneeled in a circle, turned off our flashlights and waved our hands around.  This enabled all of the plankton that was swimming around us to light up!  It was so cool!  I wish we could have gotten some pictures of our whole experience, but I don't know how they would have turned out.
FACT OF THE DAY:  There is about 15 ways to fracture a bone based on location and distribution (transverse, oblique, spiral, chip, slab, saucer, avulsion, simple, comminuted, displaced, multiple, green stick, stress, Salter-Harris fractures, closed, and open).  (Pathology)

Thursday was a pretty lazy day, since my ears were still bothering me from the dive, but I did get a lot of studying in that night.
FACT OF THE DAY:  There is such a thing as homosexual animals.  (Bacteriology).

Friday is volleyball and relaxation time!
FACT OF THE DAY:  The proper wording for a "heart attack" in an animal is cardiopulmonary failure. (Virology)

This weekend will probably just be spent studying for finals....yay fun...not




No comments:

Post a Comment

Balance

I have been complimented by coworkers on how I manage my work-life balance. It's extremely important in my field to understand and enfor...